Ingredients (Makes 6 Servings)
- 1½ cups white whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh (or frozen) blueberries
- Ready In
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Whisk egg, buttermilk, oil, sugar, orange zest and vanilla in a medium bowl. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, add the wet ingredients and whisk just until combined. Stir in blueberries. Resist overmixing—it will make the pancakes tough. Let the batter sit, without stirring, for 10 to 15 minutes. As the batter rests, the baking powder forms bubbles that create fluffy pancakes and the gluten in the flour relaxes to make them more tender. Coat a large nonstick skillet or griddle with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Without stirring the batter, measure out pancakes using about ¼ cup batter per pancake and pour into the pan (or onto the griddle). Cook until the edges are dry and you see bubbles on the surface, 2 to 4 minutes. Flip and cook until golden brown on the other side, 2 to 4 minutes more. Repeat with the remaining batter, coating the pan with cooking spray and reducing the heat as needed.
- Make Ahead Tip: To make ahead: The mixture of dry ingredients can be stored airtight for up to 1 month; the batter can be refrigerated for up to 1 day; cooked pancakes can be frozen airtight, in a single layer, for up to 3 months. Reheat in the microwave or oven.
- Tips: White whole-wheat flour, made from a special variety of white wheat, is light in color and flavor but has the same nutritional properties as regular whole-wheat flour.
- No buttermilk? You can make “sour milk” as a substitute: mix 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar to 1 cup nonfat milk; let stand for about 10 minutes before using.
- Storage smarts: For long-term freezer storage, wrap your food in a layer of plastic wrap followed by a layer of foil. The plastic will help prevent freezer burn while the foil will help keep off-odors from seeping into the food.
- Serving size: 2 (4-inch) pancakes
- Per serving: 174 calories; 5 g fat(1 g sat); 3 g fiber; 27 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 7 mcg folate; 29 mg cholesterol; 7 g sugars; 2 g added sugars; 77 IU vitamin A; 3 mg vitamin C; 144 mg calcium; 4 mg iron; 378 mg sodium; 142 mg potassium
- Nutrition Bonus: Iron (22% daily value)
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2
- Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat